What other skills could be involved?
Think Quick - what to look out for...
- Encourage Smashies to think about how to be still when they catch the ball.
- Encourage Smashies to think about how to move sideways to catch the ball in front of them.
- Encourage Smashies to think about making an open book with their hands.
Mix it Up
+ Use a larger ball.
+ Introduce the term ‘stumping’. Use guide cones / hula hoops that the bowler must underarm throw past / into on the full to score a point.
+ The batter has to move to attempt to hit the ball before it goes past these cones. If they hit it they score a point.
+ Bowler to alternate between throwing the left and right guide cones. Smashies score an extra point if they catch it between their ankles and knees.
Honesty | Pono - How could the Smashies be honest when they play this game?
Support | Tautoko - In what ways can Smashies support their partner or teammates when playing?
Cooperation | Mahi tahi - How could Smashies work together when they play?
Smash it Up
Mission – Energy Boost: An extra point if any of the bowler, batter or wicketkeeper score 3 points in a row.
Boss Battle – Smashies vs Activator / Coach / Whānau / Teacher (timed number of catches).
Arena Mode – Move the hula hoops or guide cones closer or further away to alter the challenge.
- What were some of the ways that your team cooperated today?
- How did you show support for each other?
- How were you honest in the game?