What other skills could be involved?
Movement – Walking
Evading & Perception Skills
Think Quick – what to look out for…
- Encourage Smashies to think and explore how they move, with a focus on balance.
- Encourage Smashies to think about moving in different directions, and how they could do this.
- Encourage Smashies to think about how to step towards the target when they throw.
Mix it Up
- Make the throwing distance shorter.
- Have fewer cones or other objects to move through.
- Use larger balls.
+ Incorporate different ways to move through the square, such as hopping, skipping, walking backwards.
+ Add throwing in the air/catching yourself as Smashies make their way through the cones or other objects.
Honesty | Pono - How could the Smashies be honest when they play this game?
Support | Tautoko - In what ways can Smashies support their partner or teammates when playing?
Cooperation | Mahi tahi - How could Smashies work together when they play?
Smash it Up
Mission – Introduce gates of cones as portals to run through for a Smashie to gain an Extra Life. Once through the gate the Smashies can’t be tagged.
Boss Battle – Activators / Coaches / Whānau / Teachers to act as taggers, sending Smashies back to the start line if tagged.
Arena Mode – Smashies work in pairs to make their way through the square while throwing the ball to each other.
- What were some of the ways that your team cooperated today?
- How did you show support for each other?
- How were you honest in the game?
Don’t Forget to Ask…
- I like the way you...
- How did you avoid the cones and taggers to get through to the other side?
- What was the best way to hold the ball when you throw/bowl? Could you hold it differently?
- What did you do with your body to try and get the ball to hit the wickets?
- How do you need to bowl if the target is further away or closer?