What other skills could be involved?
Movement – Catching
Think Quick – what to look out for…
- Encourage the Smashies to make quick decisions to return the ball.
Mix it Up
- To start off call out a specific way to get the ball to the opposite side i.e. rolling on the ground to make it easy, then move on to under arm throwing then over arm throwing.
+ Introduce a bigger ball and place in the middle of the safe zone, the teams are to try and hit the ball, so it rolls over to the oppositions side.
+ Encourage teamwork by passing the ball around a set number of times amongst your team before you can throw it to the other side
Honesty | Pono - How could the Smashies be honest when they play this game?
Support | Tautoko - In what ways can Smashies support their partner or teammates when playing?
Cooperation | Mahi tahi - How could Smashies work together when they play?
Smash it Up
Mission – Introduce targets in the dividing zone. If struck these allow for an Extra Life (additional balls to throw) or an Energy Boost (where a ball becomes untouchable and can’t be thrown back).
Boss Battle – Smashies vs Activators / Coaches / Teachers / Whānau.
Arena Mode – Dividing zone gets bigger or smaller as play progresses.
- What were some of the ways that your team cooperated today?
- How did you show support for each other?
- How were you honest in the game?