What other skills could be involved?
Think Quick - what to look out for...
- Encourage Smashies to think about where they are aiming. What about the gate targets could help them focus.
- Encourage Smashies to say “BOUNCE” when the ball bounces and “HIT” when it hits the bat.
- Encourage Smashies to think about how to swing the bat through a full range of motion and how they hold it to help this happen.
Mix it Up
- Players hit the ball from the ground.
+ Encourage Smashies to hit in certain directions through targets (constraint shots).
Honesty | Pono - How could the Smashies be honest when they play this game?
Support | Tautoko - In what ways can Smahies support their partner or teammates when playing?
Cooperation | Mahi tahi - How could Smashies work together when they play?
Smash it up
Bring video game elements to life!
Mission – Choose a mystery gate that creates an Extra Life (extra ball) for any Smashie that hits it through.
Boss Battle – Smashies vs Activators / Coaches / Teachers / Whānau.
Arena Mode – Make the arena smaller (remove gate targets) or bigger (add gate targets) as the game progresses.
Reflect with the Smashies...
- What were some of the ways that your team cooperated today?
- How did you show support for each other?
- How were you honest in the game?