- Every Smashie has a ball (or bean bag).
- Smashies are to continuously move around the area.
- Instruct Smashies to try different skills with their ball, for example; little catch, bounce and catch, eye level catch, place ball on the ground and pick up.
- Encourage the Smashies to move in different ways while trying the different skills, for example; hopping, skipping or jumping.
- Smashies can join as pairs and work with their partner to bounce and catch the ball between them, this can be done either statically or while moving.
- Be imaginative with movement instructions, for example; move like a frog, move like a rabbit.
What other skills could be involved?
Think Quick – what to look out for…
- Encourage Smashies to think about a bucket shape with their hands when catching.
- Encourage Smashies to think and explore how they move with a focus on balance.
- Encourage Smashies to think about moving in different directions and how they could do this
Mix it Up
- Start simple, the ball stays in hand and the Smashie places ball on named body part whilst running around.
- Use larger balls or bean bags.
+ Increase the variety and speed of commands to the Smashies, encouraging quick decision making.
+ Introduce one-handed catching.
Honesty | Pono - How could the Smashies be honest when they play this game?
Support | Tautoko - In what ways can Smashies support their partner or teammates when playing?
Cooperation | Mahi tahi - How could Smashies work together when they play?
Smash it Up
Mission – create a self-challenge, encourage Smashies to count their number of catches without a dropped catch. Receive an Extra Life when they get a new high score, next time around if they drop a catch they can keep going.
Boss Battle – Smashies vs Activator / Coach / Whānau / Teacher (timed
number of catches).
Arena Mode – Each time the ball is thrown it needs to go higher to make its
way over the force field.
- What were some of the ways that your team cooperated today?
- How did you show support for each other?
- How were you honest in the game?